Dry Run Creek and the Pond

The creek that runs through the farm is called Dry Run Creek and it is a tributary of the larger Moore's Creek that winds through Pleasant Valley (and part of the Farm also) and empties into the Delaware River.  Dry Run gets its name from the fact that it is an intermittent creek and is dry much of the year.  It does supply water to the pond and provides water for animals grazing in the Round Pasture at least some of the year.

Evidence suggests that the pond is man-made, built by damming up a spur of Dry Run Creek.  Although the date is not known, the pond was certainly in place when the ice house was built, around 1850.  It is possible that the pond was built earlier, because there would have been a need for drinking water for animals pastured along the creek prior to 1850, and 'Dry Run Creek' appears on maps as early as 1840. 

As in the past, the pond provides a source of ice in the winter that is harvested and stored in the ice house next to the pond.

 
 
Howell Farm is owned by the County of Mercer and operated by the Mercer County Park Commission with the support and assistance of The Friends of Howell Living History Farm. The farm is an educational facility open to the public that preserves and interprets farming life and processes from the era of 1890-1910. Howell Farm is a proud member of the Association for Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums (ALHFAM).

This website is a project of The Friends of Howell Living History Farm and the text and graphic contents of this website are © 2017  by The Friends of Howell Living History Farm.

Howell Farm is located at - 70 Woodens Ln.   Lambertville, NJ 08530

Contact Us