January – February
Learn how people take advantage of the seasons to meet their year-round needs. What are the unique properties of ice and why are we cutting it now? Use simple machines to cut, lift and store heavy blocks of ice. Then come inside to explore the science of ice cream as you churn and sample a batch.
After participating in an 1890-1910 ice harvest, students will make ice cream and discuss:
• How people take advantage of the seasons to meet their year-round needs
• How simple machines make tasks easier
• The unique properties of water
• How milk is transformed into ice cream
• What was the process of procuring ice in the 1900s?
• How do simple machines help in the process of harvesting ice?
• How can insulation be used to keep things cold and to keep
• How does melting ice help make cream freeze?